XGenStudios is an independent development studio, most famously known for their flash and browser based games. You may have heard of XGenStudio’s previous flash favourites: ‘Stick RPG’, ‘Defend your Castle’ and the original ‘Motherload’.
The original Motherload is a flash browser-based drilling game with a customisable little drilling machine, or ‘pod’. You can earn better and bigger customisations for your drilling vehicle by mining resources in the dirt below your Mars-based starting point. The main aim of the game is to ensure your drilling machine doesn’t get destroyed by degrading or one of the many natural events… Or by what’s lurking deep beneath the soil! This is one of my favourite childhood games – I spent as much time saying hello to MR. Natas as I did taking Skooma and running away from Cliff Racers in Morrowind back in the day!
Super Motherload appears to have vastly improved on the original Motherload with 4 player gameplay, a Soviet/American narrative, improved graphics and more. PlayStation’s Youtube channel has recently posted a gameplay trailer, featuring in-game footage – check it out below!
As taken from Super Motherload’s dedicated website:
- RPG-inspired mechanics, upgrades, quests & special abilities
- 10 playable characters to unlock
- Procedurally-generated world that changes each time you play
- Branching storyline choices with multiple game endings
- Over 150 explosive-based puzzles to solve
- An epic boss battle
- An extremely difficult hardcore mode for Motherload veterans!
- Story by award winning Image Comic’s writer Kurtis Wiebe of Peter Panzerfaust & Green Wake fame
- Full voice overs and a full-length original score by indie electronic artist Eric Cheng
There’s even a live-action trailer, featuring ‘Soviet Russians’!
We see Super Motherload taking XGenStudios to the main stage with a PS4 day-one launch, alongside PS3 as a cross-buy purchase; success in the Steam Greenlight program means that we’ll also see the game on Steam very soon. Good luck, employee 1001!
You can now follow us on twitter and facebook!