In 1994 a legend was born, Shaq Fu. A well known publisher (ahem….EA along with Delphine Software) capitalised on the immense popularity of Shaquille O’Neil. EA produced a 2D fighting game that, in most circles, has attained the status “so bad it’s good.” Some only saw the bad and it even drove one fan to madness. They created a website dedicated to destroying all known remaining copies of the game. So with that kind of pedigree – why on earth would I be excited for Shaq-Fu: A Legend Reborn?
Well, Big Deez Productions are in control of the, dare I say, ‘franchise’ and have completely overhauled the game, only taking the two things that was good about the original: the name and Shaq himself. Big Deez have seemingly injected a whole heap of passion and dedication – the end result looks mesmerising. Not only does it appear to have a great sound track, but once you see it in motion, everything seems to actually work. The art style and the fighting just go hand in hand. Could ‘Shaq-Fu’ be making a bold return to the public consciousness? We can only hope!
“Shaq Fu is what the original game should have been – an instant classic. We’re talking Streets of Rage meets Street Fighter meets Devil May Cry. It’s a modern day take on the classic beat ‘em up. Play as Shaquille O’Neal – learn hundreds of moves and battle techniques, take on thousands of enemies with dozens of cool melee weapons, battle bosses in dynamic arenas, master cool finishing moves and play with your buddies in COOP mode or against each other in player vs player combat.
- Play as Shaq as he kicks ass and takes no prisoners
- Intricately designed combo system that leaves room for a variety of fighting tactics. Learn the moves and let Shaq rip against his enemies
- Pimp your character with new moves and abilities. Select from different fighting styles or combine styles and create your own new discipline (Shaq FU is what you make it)
- Adaptive AI keeps the game exciting
- Battles against hordes of enemies in the tradition of the lost art of the beat ‘em up. I mean, who could take Shaq one on one?.
- Fight through the slums of Asian cities, on the rooftops of skyscrapers. Battle it out inside buildings, seedy night clubs, and cause mayhem in the markets.
- Smash an enemy through the floor and leap down to a lower level. Barge through walls and forge your own path. Smash furniture, toss enemies through windows, even collapse structures – when you are the Shaqbreaker everything is possible
- A wide variety of melee and projectile weapons as well as various everyday objects that can be used as weapons – katanas, shurikens, baseball bats, the occasional basketball filled with the wrong type of gas, bottles, knives and dozens more. Don’t see a weapon you like? What about that manhole cover or that car door? You are Shaq after all, so maybe you want to hurl that motorcycle on a bunch of enemies at once. The world is your projectile.“
Shaq is personally funding this project, but they still need some help getting the extra cash to turn Shaq’s crazy dream into a bizarre reality. I personally cant wait to get my hands on this. If you want to help make this a reality and see Shaq Fu 2 make its way to the Xbox One and PS4 – click here and help them out!
Check out the explosive trailer below.
Follow us on Facebook and Twitter
You Might Also Like